17 in stock
American Pale Ale (APA)
This American Pale Ale recipe is a good basis for any APA to be built on, as you can see there is no dry hop on the ingredients list, this is because we feel you can do this happily on your own with no instruction from us (Although 50g of Amarillo and Citra would go a long way, also Centennial or Mosaic).
The hops notes in this are citrus and pine, with a citrus and grapefruit overlay coming from the Crystal and Cascade in the Whirlpool with a complex malt bill to help add biscuit and caramel flavours to the mouthfeel.
Expected Brew Figures: (based on 75% mash efficiency)
IBU: Approx. 56
3.8kg of Pale Ale
900g of Melanoidin
800g of Carared
340g of Carapils.
30g of Simcoe hops
18g of Citra hops
18g of Cascade hops
18g of Crystal hops
2x Safale US-05 Yeast
1. Mash with 17L water at 66º C for 60 mins.
2. Mash out at 75ºC for 10 mins.
3. Sparge with 14L at 75ºC
4. Boil for 70 mins.
5. At 60 mins add 30g Simcoe hops
6. At 5 mins add 18g Citra hops
7. At 0 minutes turn off the heat
8. Add 18g of Cascade hops and 18g of Crystal hops
9. Whirlpool for 30 mins. (Whirlpool: turn the boil off and either stirring fast/recirculate so it "whirlpools" for the duration)
10. Cool down and add to your fermenter as usual
11. When temperature is between 18-23ºC add Safale US-05 Yeast
12. Leave for 7-10 days keg or bottle as usual
Loyalty points: 22
NZ Owned & operated
anywhere in NZ
All prices are shown in NZD and include GST. unless stated otherwise.
Home Brew West GST No: 101791157