22 in stock
All Grain Recipe Kit
Helles – All Grain Recipe Kit
A crisp and golden German Helles with a twist. Light and malty with hints of vanilla bean and spicy fruits, this has been hopped as a classic German variety, although there are many different hopping schedules available.
Expected Brew Figures: (Based on 75% mash efficiency):
ABV: Approx 4.7%
4.3kg of Pilsner malt
230g of Carahell malt
140g of Carapils malt
25g of Wakatu hops
10g of Mittlefruh hops
10g of Mittlefruh hops
1tsp Irish Moss
2x M84 Bohemian Lager Yeasts (Dried) – Cold
2x M54 Californian Lager Yeasts (Dried) – Warm
1x WLP830 German Lager Yeast (Liquid) – Cold
1. Mash and Recirculate for 30 mins with 17L water at 50 degrees C.
2. Raise temp to 64 degrees C and recirculate for another 20 mins.
3. Raise temp to mash out at 78 degrees C for 10 mins.
4. Sparge with 12L of water for 90 mins or Fly sparge 12L with the Grainfather.
5. Boil for 75 mins.
6. At 60 mins add 25g of Wakatu hops.
7. At 15 mins add 10g Mittelfruh hops and Irish Moss
8. When done, Whirlpool for 20 mins and add 10g Mittelfruh hops.
(Whirlpooling; Turn the boil off and either stirring fast/recirculate so it "whirlpools" for the duration. This also helps increase the bitterness).
9. Ferment between 12-16 degrees for 7-10 days with 2x M84 Bohemian Lager Yeasts (Dried), or 1x WLP830 German Lager Yeast (Liquid).
10. Ferment between 18-22C for 7-10 days with the 2x M54 Californian Lager Yeast (Warm).
11. Optional: Transfer into another CO2 flushed container and keep at 1C for 3-4 weeks to Lager the beer, helping meld the flavours together.
If possible, raise the temperature to 18-20C for 1 day after fermentation, to complete a diacytl rest before the cold crashing.
12. Bottle or keg as usual. (If cold crashing the beer, make sure to re add yeast to the bottles to ensure carbonation).
13. A conditioning period of 3-4 weeks, if no racking has been done, will help meld flavours together in the beer and bring out the beers true colours and flavours.
Loyalty points: 20
Helles - All Grain Recipe Kit
2x M84 Bohemian Lager Yeasts (Dried) - Cold
2x M54 Californian Lager Yeasts (Dried) - Warm
1x WLP830 German Lager Yeast (Liquid) - Cold
NZ Owned & operated
anywhere in NZ
All prices are shown in NZD and include GST. unless stated otherwise.
Home Brew West GST No: 101791157