3 in stock
Scotch Ale – All Grain Recipe Kit
Scotch ales are strong ales, also known as "Wee Heavy." In the 19th century Scotland, they'd also became known as 160/-, a nomenclature based on the now obsolete shilling currency.
Scotch Ales traditionally go through a long boil in the kettle for a caramelization of the wort. This produces a deep copper to brown in coloured brew. Compared to Scottish ales, they'll be sweeter and fuller-bodied, and of course higher in alcohol, with a much more pronounced malty caramel and roasted malt flavour. A low tea-like bitterness can be found in many examples. Best served in a "thistle" glass.
Expected Brew Figures: (based on 80% mash efficiency)
ABV Approx: 7.3%
6.8kg Pale Ale Malt
900g Carapils malt
200g Roasted Barley malt
100g Smoked Malt
50g of UK East Kent Golding Hops
2 x MJ M36 Liberty Bell Ale Yeast
1. Mash at @ 68ºC with 18L of water
2. Rest for 90 mins.
4. Hold mash temp at 77ºC for 10 mins.
5. Sparge with 15L of water @ 80ºC
6. Boil for 90 mins.
7. Add 25g EK Golding hops at 60 mins left
8. Add 25g EK Golding hops at 45 mins left
9. Whirlpool 30 mins.
10. Ferment between 16-22ºC for 7-10 days with M36 yeast
11. Bottle or keg as usual and enjoy
Loyalty points: 30
Scotch Ale - All Grain Recipe Kit
NZ Owned & operated
anywhere in NZ
All prices are shown in NZD and include GST. unless stated otherwise.
Home Brew West GST No: 101791157